Over the last 50 plus years since Barbie hit the scene there have been many column inches and copy written about her. However it is often the off the cuff remarks that are the most revealing! Here is a selection of 10 quotes about the world’s favourite fashion doll; all made by the famous and notable, including her creator Ruth Handler.
- “Of course [Barbie] is beautiful and glamorous, but I also like to think that she’s intelligent, confident, good-humored, well-traveled, gracious, well-read, compassionate, and rich, rich, rich—but from the fruits of her own labor and ingenuity. In short, she’s got it all!” – Bryon Lars
- “I did not think this doll could ever be this huge.” – Ruth Handler
- “You know you’ve made it when you’ve been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls – it’s a bit scary, actually.” – Cate Blanchett
- “Through their play Barbara imagined their lives as adults. They used the dolls to reflect the adult world around them. They would sit and carry on conversations, making the dolls real people.” – Ruth Handler
- “I think they should have a Barbie with a buzz cut.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “The doll had an adult shaped body, the thing that I had been trying to describe for years, and our guys said it couldn’t be done.” – Ruth Handler
- “Barbie represents a confident and independent woman with an amazing ability to have fun while remaining glamorous.” – Diane von Furstenberg
- “As a little girl, I spent countless hours playing with my Barbie dolls, even designing and sewing one-of-a-kind outfits for the doll. I guess you could say Barbie gave me my start as a designer.” – Cynthia Rowley
- “Growing up, my dolls were doctors and on secret missions. I had Barbie Goes Rambo.” – Zoe Saldana
- “When I was really young. My sister and I would create different characters with our Barbie dolls – I’d be the crazy diva Barbie and she’d be the homeless Barbie” – Jordana Brewster
I hope you enjoyed these quotes. How about creating one of your own in the comments section??